At Sugar Bowl Bakery we bake up 5-million of our famous Madeleines daily! We want to let you in on a little secret, our make-at-home recipe!
Sugar Bowl Bakery Madeleines- Home Recipe
1 Stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon more for prepping the pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
¼ cup distilled water
1 teaspoon best-quality vanilla extract
Zest of ½ Lemon
1. Preheat oven to 370°F and prepare your Madeleine pan by brushing with melted butter or a neutral vegetable oil.
2. Melt butter in a microwave and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. In a small bowl, sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
4. Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a paddle attachment, mix the eggs and sugar for 1-2 minutes on speed 4. Add the water and mix to combine.
5. Add vanilla and zest and continue beating for another minute.
6. Fold in the flour mixture with the paddle attachment until just blended.
7. While the mixer is on low speed, drizzle the cooled butter over the batter and mix until fully incorporated. Do not over-mix.
8. Refrigerate batter for 30 minutes—this helps the flour hydrate and contributes to the signature hump on the top of the madeleine. Don’t worry if you don’t get the hump, they will still taste great!
9. Fill each Madeleine mold ¾ full with batter—I use a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup to do this or you could transfer the batter into a glass measuring cup with a lip.
10. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are lightly golden brown.
11. Cool on a rack until room temperature and serve alone, or with berries and whipped cream.